“Simply put, he is the Renaissance man of Charleston” – Art Mag.
The hard questions.
Q. What is your favorite Prince album?
A. Sign ‘O’ The Times is probably his best album. But I also love LotusFlow3r. And The Love Symbol Album. And Lovesexy. And ARTOFFICIALAGE. And Parade. And …
Q. What is your favorite Star Wars movie?
A. Return of the Jedi is so good. That hallway scene with Darth Vader and Luke? When Darth admits “It’s too late for me, son.” GIVES ME CHILLS. But, still. I love Empire Strikes Back. And The Force Awakens. And Revenge of the Sith. And …
Q. Who is your favorite artist?
A. JONI MITCHELL. The best painter and songwriter of all time. Hejira is a master work.
Q. What is the best television show of all time?
A. THE GOLDEN GIRLS.
Q. What are you most passionate about?
A. My music. I also love leading poetry workshops for kids. Honestly, though, the high I receive from creating music is unmatched.
When I grow up, I want to be a rock star like Prince. – (me, at 10 years old.)
Marcus Amaker is Charleston, South Carolina’s first poet laureate and an award-winning graphic designer.
He’s published seven poetry books and has been mentioned in The New York Times as well as been featured on TEDxCharleston, PBS Newshour, the A&E network, the Huffington Post, Alaska Beyond Magazine, SC Public Radio and many local media outlets.
As a musician, he’s created more than 30 electronic music albums. His latest project, empath, is a collaboration with Grammy-nominated producer Quentin E. Baxter.
As poet laureate, Marcus visits many schools to conduct poetry workshops and to inspire students to write. Area schools have started poetry clubs after his visits. He also created Charleston’s first poetry festival, Free Verse.
As a journalist, Marcus helped to create Charleston Scene, a weekly entertainment section for Charleston’s SC’s daily newspaper, the Post and Courier. He is currently the lead graphic designer for the national music journal, No Depression.
Charleston Business Magazine named him one of Charleston’s 50 Most influential people in 2016.
His wife, Jordan Amaker, is an activist and marketing director of Lowcountry Local First.
photos by Alice Keeney.
Some recent press …
- Wikipedia page
- Charleston’s poet laureate Marcus Amaker releases new book of poetry January 1
- Charleston’s Poet Laureate Marcus Amaker reveals ternary project, ’empath’
- Interfaith arts group in Charleston addresses social justice issues
- Marcus Amaker brings the city’s first poetry festival to Charleston
- Marcus Amaker’s ‘TELEMAQUE.’ is about slavery and the life of Denmark Vesey
- Charleston’s Free Verse Festival announces schedule
- Marcus Amaker presents the city’s first poetry festival, Free Verse, this fall
- Charleston Museum and Marcus Amaker team up for Poetry Past and Present: Dave the Potter
- Charleston, SC’s 50 Most Influential people
- Charleston’s First Poet Laureate Shares On A Remarkable Project