the electro version of “flushed & in bloom”
I recorded two albums while writing the book. Both projects were inspired by the new poems.
kept & let go of
an instrumental album of chillhop-inspired arrangements. The song titles are lines from the book.
Spoken word and moody electronic music. The poems were in their infant state when I recorded this. (“Connecting the Dots” changed quite a bit). This album is a peak into the process …
The original cover of the book:
I designed this in 2021, thinking Hold would be a hardback book. Something about it didn’t sit right with me, so I scrapped it. Also, the title was Hold What Makes Us Whole when the concept came to me.
- The first poem written for this project was “Kinfolk.” It grew out of a song on an experimental album I released in 2020.
- “Efface / Erase” is about this album cover.
- “Dealate” is also the name of my second album as tape loop.
- The last poem written for this collection was “Bacteria.”
- On the cover is my great-great aunt, Ruth Robinson. She was a published poet, a community organizer, and a phone buddy until her passing in 2020 at the age of 94.
- Review in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Post & Courier: The Poetry of Parenthood: Charleston’s poet laureate reflects on fatherhood and the creative life
- Academy of American Poets
- The Island Connection: Poet Laureate To Release Tenth Book
- Radio interview on WOHM
- TV interview on Fox 24
- The best books to spark an everlong fire of musical obsession